This recipe is from my friend Jenny.
“This simple recipe uses what would otherwise be a waste product and turns it into a delicious, refreshing drink.”
- Once you have scooped out the feijoa flesh, give the skins a quick rinse.
- Loosely fill a 1 Litre sized jar with feijoa skins. Add 1 TB of sugar and cover with water.
- Leave loosely covered on bench for 2-3 days.
- Then strain, and pop your feijoa skins into the compost.
- Add a further 1 TB of sugar and top up with water.
- Seal it. Leave for a further day to ferment more and get fizzy.
- Then chill & drink.
The fermenting process removes some of the sugar, as the sugar feeds on the natural yeasts from the feijoa skins. The better the seal, on the 2nd ferment, the better the fizz.
Happy fermenting :)”