Gather Rose petals of all kinds, wild and cultivated.
The stronger they smell the better. The Iceberg roses here at Saffron Cottage are in full bloom right now.
Rose petal elixir is a blend of loving rose with brandy and honey / maple syrup and tastes so beautiful and sumptuous.
This is a wonderful medicine that can be used as a rescue remedy, in times of fear, anxiety, worry, grief & overwhelm. Try mixing cacao and cinnamon in with your rose elixir for a nightcap. Makes a beautiful gift.
In Ayurveda, Rose is a medicine for both the physical and emotional heart. Rose is considered cooling, yet at the same time, it enhances agni, the digestive fire. This unique quality makes it perfect for balancing for all three doshas.
- 500 ml Mason jar (I got mine from Countdown).
- Fresh wild or domestic dry rose petals to fill your jar (make sure they have not been sprayed!)
- 600 ml of good quality brandy( or vodka).
- approximately 200g of raw honey (more if you are using only honey and no alcohol) or maple syrup.
- Fill your jar with fresh rose petals. They don’t have to be packed down, but they should fill the jar so that there isn’t a lot of empty space.
- Next, add honey or maple syrup to help coat & soften the rose petals and fill about 1/3 of the jar. It’s ok if the honey is crystallised, don’t heat the honey!
- Add brandy to the top of the jar.
- Place wax or bee wrap over the top and then screw on your metal lid.
- Allow to sit in a cool, dark place for 4-6 weeks.