Prep Time 10 minutes. Cook Time 20 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger or 1 tspn ground ginger
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained ( I used pinto beans as didn’t have black beans).
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups spinach ( or similar greens) chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander or parsley, tomatoes chopped, plus more for serving
- Cooked basmati rice
- Coat a large skillet with oil and place it over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger. Sauté until the onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the beans and lemon juice. Flip a few times to incorporate and cook for 2 minutes.
- Lightly mash about half of beans with a fork or potato masher. Add the coconut milk, broth, garam masala, coriander, cardamom and turmeric.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and lower the heat. Allow to simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, adding a bit of water if it becomes too thick.
- Stir in the spinach and cook just until wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide among bowls or plates. Serve with rice and sprinkle with fresh coriander/parsley/
Adapted to Kiwi & iSOULation fare from Connoisseurusveg.